Despite all of this, the rematch is not finalized.
It was originally scheduled for UFC 200, of course, before McGregor's long-simmering private issues with the UFC exploded into the public eye and resulted in the fight being pulled from the card. UFC officials then targeted UFC 202 on August 20, but negotiations between Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta and Diaz's team in Stockton last month resulted in the fight being placed in a holding pattern.
According to White, who appeared on SportsCenter Thursday morning, the deal still isn't done.
“We’re trying to set up a fight right now," White said. It’s been a little challenging. I’m trying to get the deal done.”
McGregor holds the UFC's featherweight title, but is adamant on settling the score with Diaz after losing to him in March. According to White, the only fight McGregor is interested in is the Diaz rematch at 170 pounds.
“Conor is obsessed with this rematch. I don’t know why, but he is," White said. "It’s just his type of personality. He’s obsessed with it. He’s obsessed with fighting Diaz again at 170 pounds.”
There has been endless speculation that McGregor could face Floyd Mayweather in a boxing mega-fight. Mayweather has fanned the flames by saying that McGregor is the only opponent he will come out of retirement for, and McGregor has done little to dampen the rumors. But the UFC holds McGregor's promotional rights, and White again said that the only way Mayweather vs. McGregor will ever happen is by going through the UFC.
The Mayweather bout is almost an impossibility. A rematch between McGregor and Diaz is still the likely next fight for both men; all that remains is to actually come to a deal with Diaz. Will it happen soon?
“I don’t know if that will ever happen," White said. "But I’m trying."